At The Law Office of Debra D. Corcoran, we not only care deeply for our clients and their futures, but we care about the environment. We are proud to announce that we are the first law office in Richmond and perhaps in Virginia to "go green."
"Going green" means to practice an environmentally and ecologically responsible lifestyle. It also means to make decisions that protect the environment and sustain the Earth's natural resources. There are many reasons to consider going green – trash, air and water pollution, greenhouse gases, damage to the ozone layer, energy and cost savings.
For the purpose of protecting the Earth's natural resources, we are proud to have taken the following steps to strategically reduce the carbon footprint that we are leaving behind:
Solar panels on the roof and feeding energy back into the grid
Passive energy with indoor shutters
Organic septic tank to fertilize the lawn
Attic insulated with recycled materials, including organic boric acid to fight critters
Organic landscaping practices which involve steps such as not using chemical fertilizers, strategically placing plants to maximize the natural by-products of enriched soil, and ensuring that no harm is caused to amphibians, plants, birds or insects
- Recycled or reused materials, bricks, wood and shutters
- Painted with low or no VOCs
In addition to these steps for making our building more environmentally friendly, we also recycle as much as possible, and have made great strides in going paperless with our documentation and communication systems. As anyone who has worked in a law office can testify, these steps go a long way towards conserving resources and cutting down on waste.
"Lawyers tend to be looked at only for how we impact the law, but we can also be looked at for other things that we accomplish and be role models as a whole. Because we're more visible in the community, and we need to take responsibility for making the places we live and work better for everyone." ~ Attorney Debra C. Corcoran
Tips for Going Green
There are a number of ways to implement small lifestyle changes that can help you live in a more eco-friendly way. While the decision to go green is often a gradual process for most people, even the smallest actions can have a positive impact on the environment.
A few tips for a cleaner environment:
- Switch from conventional incandescent light bulbs to compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs. This can save around $40 over the life of the bulb.
- Ensure that walls and ceilings are well-insulated.
- Replace faucets with low-flow models.
- Purchase EnergyStar appliances.
- Use reusable bags for groceries.
- Use household cleaners with the Design for the Environment (DFE) label. These have been determined to be safer for human health and the environment.
- Buy locally produced food from farmers' markets.
- Recycle paper, metal, aluminum, and glass instead of throwing it away.
At The Law Office of Debra D. Corcoran, we are excited to have made a conscious decision to conserve the Earth's natural resources and we hope that other firms and businesses will join us in the "going green" movement.